Anonymous yet personal, this Blog chronicles
the daily events and musings of Jim.
It provides an easy way for his friends and family to check in on him,
and serves as a online repository for his random
thoughts, kaleidoscopic flashbacks, and writings on an array of diverse topics.
“Deconstructing Jim” is simply here to
entertain you, but not intended for college credit.

A little about me

My photo
Chapel Hill, NC, United States

Blog Archive

Labels

Art (27) Birthday (3) Book Review (4) Boston (39) CD Review (2) Celebrations (10) Concert Review (39) Dreams (4) Education (5) Employment (11) Factoid (26) Family (28) Flashback (40) Flying (6) Food (22) Friends (8) Fun (14) Health (3) Holland (5) Movies (9) Music (261) Nature (12) NY (8) Obit (8) Poetry (6) Random thoughts (99) Science (12) Sports (6) Tech (34) Travel (27) Weird stuff (28) Woodwind Quintet (1)

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Long awaited recording

Back in July of 2008 I blogged about my recording session with the QX String Quartet.

http://deconstructing-jim.blogspot.com/2008/07/living-glamorous-life-of-american.html

These fine musicians recorded my 25 year-old, four-movement piece last year. This week I finally got to hear the first edit.

It sounds really good (if I don't mind saying so), and after a few minor changes it will be ready for distribution.

Ahhhhh, how will it be released you ask?

I donno.

It's not long enough for an entire CD of my music, and I'm not sure how to market the recording to potential record companies (e.g. New World, Albany, etc). I gather that it's the composers' responsibility to raise the money - one way or another - to pay for the production and reproduction costs. And that could be a hefty sum. I've already paid the musicians and recording engineer out of pocket.

I'm also tempted to think outside of the box here, since record companies that sell CDs are quickly going the way of the dinosaur. Standard audio CDs are about to become as retro as phonograph records. Maybe iTunes is the future. Who knows? Steve Jobs, are you reading this? And then there is always self-production and distribution on Amazon, CD Baby, or on my website.

I think I'd like to have the glamour and fun of a CD release party without the risk of investing personally in an expensive, but commercially disastrous product. I'm torn.

If anybody has any ideas about how to distribute my String Quartet (1984), please let me know. It's a cool piece, well played, and deserving of a commercial release. Suggestions and ideas from potential new music patrons, media outlets, and/or recording company executives and producers are welcome.


-------------