Anonymous yet personal, this Blog chronicles
the daily events and musings of Jim.
It provides an easy way for his friends and family to check in on him,
and serves as a online repository for his random
thoughts, kaleidoscopic flashbacks, and writings on an array of diverse topics.
“Deconstructing Jim” is simply here to
entertain you, but not intended for college credit.

A little about me

My photo
Chapel Hill, NC, United States

Blog Archive

Labels

Art (27) Birthday (3) Book Review (4) Boston (39) CD Review (2) Celebrations (10) Concert Review (39) Dreams (4) Education (5) Employment (11) Factoid (26) Family (28) Flashback (40) Flying (6) Food (22) Friends (8) Fun (14) Health (3) Holland (5) Movies (9) Music (261) Nature (12) NY (8) Obit (8) Poetry (6) Random thoughts (99) Science (12) Sports (6) Tech (34) Travel (27) Weird stuff (28) Woodwind Quintet (1)

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

In-between

I have never officially been unemployed before. Yesterday I drove to the Massachusetts Division of Unemployment Assistance in Everett to submit my claim. It is now being considered and processed.

My former employer – a “for profit” educational corporation – decided that my position required a PhD in Computer Science. Myself and several others in MA have had to move on because of the redefinition of our positions. I’m not bitter about it, but after nearly eight years on that job I now have to answer the question “What do I want to be when I grow up?” I’ve seen the 2008 edition of “What Color is Your Parachute?” but this blog is really about my philosophy of life during this time of personal transition. I will be talking out loud about personal events past and present. The phrase “in-between” is apt since it accurately reflects my point in mid-life, where the past meets an uncertain future. I’m in the middle of a wonderful journey. While some of the following postings will be about my search for employment, the majority will be thoughts of the day, and flashbacks of the past.

It’s hot and humid in Boston in July, and this weather contributes to the delirium.

Welcome to “Deconstructing Jim.” The adventure has begun…